2011 Annual Meeting
May 6-8, Galena, IL
Letter from the Executive Director
Dear Members and Friends,
We are in the home stretch of our planning for the annual meeting of USGA, this year to take place in Galena, Illinois. Nancy Breed and Frank Nefzger have led the local arrangements for this meeting. We are going to have a wonderful time in Grant’s city.
The meeting will take place from Friday to Sunday, May 6-8, 2011. It will begin with registration on Friday from 1 PM to 5 PM; Reception at 5 PM and dinner at 6 PM. It will end on Sunday shortly after 11 AM.
The headquarters hotel is the historic DeSoto House Hotel, 230 S. Main Street, Galena, Illinois 61036 www.desotohouse.com (800-343-6562). We have a special group rate for our stay, which is most reasonable: $79 per night plus tax. Be sure to say “U. S. Grant Association” to receive this group rate.
The fee to attend the meeting remains the same: $200 per person for member and guest; and $300 for non-members. This fee will include 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners, speakers, and historic site admissions.
- Dubuque, Iowa Regional Airport (DBQ) www.flydbq.com 20 minutes west of Galena
- Rockford, Ill. International Airport (RFD) www.flyrfd.com 90 minutes east of Galena
- Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD) www.ohare-airport.org 2 1/2 hours east of Galena
(It may be possible to arrange for ground transportation from any of these airports, if we can get a group coordinated.) Consequently, please REGISTER EARLY and be sure you include your arrival and departure times and airports on your registration.
Events: tours of historic sites, shops, Civil War music, and more
- General Josiah Bunting, III “U.S. Grant: Strategy, Character, and Military Legacy, 1941-1945”
- Dr. Joan Waugh, “U.S. Grant at Appomattox”
- Larry and Connie Clowers, “Around the World with General and Mrs. Grant, 1877-1879”
- Scott and Peggy Whitney, “Lamplight Tour of the Grant Memorial Home”
You don’t want to miss all these activities and others, too. Please register at the hotel, get your airline tickets, if you need any, and register with USGA on our website. Judging by what I have been hearing, we are going to have a large attendance. Don’t be left out, register quickly.
I and all our staff at Mississippi State University send our best. On to Galena!
John F. Marszalek