The Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library will be open to the public starting August 3.
- You must wear a mask to enter Mitchell Memorial Library and the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library.
- We can not provide guided tours during this time.
- Library capacity is limited. Please call or email us if you have any questions.
For more information on Library hours and updated operational guidelines, please visit https://guides.library.msstate.edu/coronavirus.
Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library materials are available for use by anyone who agrees to abide by the following rules.
Before You Arrive
- Complete or update a research application form each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30), and make sure you have acceptable identification (MSU ID card, driver’s license, or other photo ID). On subsequent visits, you must show ID and sign the register at the reception desk.
- Contact us to check on whether prior arrangements are required for using the materials you need.
While You're Here
- Store briefcases, books, coats, hats, bags, purses, or other personal property in the provided self-service lockers.
- Bring only a notebook, loose sheets of note paper, note cards, or other staff-approved materials into the reading room.
- Use only pencils in the reading room; pens of any kind are prohibited.
- You may use computers, typewriters, and recording devices, if they do not disturb other researchers, and if there is adequate space for their use.
- Do not take Library materials out of the reading room.
- Request items by completing call slips – staff will retrieve it for you.
- Let us know if you need photocopies of materials. All copying must be done by our staff.
- Leave any books you’ve pulled from the genealogical browsing shelves on your table – staff will reshelve it.
- Be considerate of your fellow researchers and of our rare and unique materials – no loud talking, tobacco, food, gum, or beverages in the reading room.
- Handle materials carefully:
- Do not write on, alter, lean on, fold anew, trace, or weight materials.
- Preserve the existing order and arrangement of unbound materials. Report any disarrangement or missing items immediately to the reading room attendant.
- Use only one manuscript box at a time. If you need multiple boxes, you must finish one before the reading room attendant will retrieve another.
- Remove only one folder at a time from the box you’re using. Use the provided “OUT” card to mark its place. Leave documents inside folders as you examine them.
- Ask the reading room attendant for gloves if you need to handle photographs or other fragile materials.
Before You Leave
- Return all materials to the reading room attendant before leaving the research area.
When Using Your Research
- Be aware that the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) provides protection for unpublished materials as well as published works. Permission to publish from or quote from unpublished manuscripts or from published items under copyright must first be obtained from the copyright holder. You assume full responsibility for conforming to copyright laws.
- Cite materials from our collections as follows:
[Item Name], [Collection Title], Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library.
When possible, also cite the original location of materials collected from other repositories.