Arthur Hastings Grant, The Grant Family: A Genealogical History of the Descendants of Matthew Grant of Windsor, Conn., 1601-1898 (Poughkeepsie, N. Y.: Press of A. V. Haight, 1898).
Matthew Grant, b. Oct. 27, 1601; d. at Windsor, Dec. 16, 1681; m. (1) Nov. 16, 1625, to Priscilla _____ [d. at Windsor, Apr. 27, 1644, aged 43 years, 2 months]; m. (2) at Windsor, May 29, 1645, to Susanna (Capen or Chapin) Rockwell [b. Apr. 5, 1602; d. at Windsor, Nov. 14, 1666; widow of Deacon William Rockwell; probably daughter of Bernard Capen].
On March 20, 1630, he embarked with his family on the "Mary and John" at Plymouth, England, and reached Boston harbor May 30, 1630. He settled at Dorchester, Massachusetts, and was admitted a freeman May 18, 1631; but, with many others, he disliked the close union of church and state that characterized the colony of Massachusetts Bay, as well as the growing tendency to establish the government in the hands of a privileged class and to minimize the voice of the people in the conduct of their own affairs. Accordingly, in Oct. 1635, he went overland to the Connecticut River, with the party that prepared for the settlement of Windsor, although his family probably did not remove to Windsor until the following April. There, freed from the trammels of a royal charter, he assisted in forming a true democracy, the germ from which American political institutions have grown. His lot was in the Palisado, next the town lot. This he gave to his son John, with whom he spent his declining years. It is said that he was a carpenter. He was the first, and for many years the principal, surveyor; deacon of the first church; recorder (town clerk) 1652-77; townsman (selectman) many years, frequently receiving the highest number of votes; on the committees to lay out the bounds between Windsor and Hartford in 1651 and 1660, and to view the state of the town in 1651 and 1654. The absence of records makes it impossible to give a complete list of the offices he held, but he was one of the important men of the town. Of him Dr. Stiles says, in his History of Ancient Windsor: "Few men, indeed, filled so large a place in the early history of Windsor, or filled it so well, as honest Matthew Grant; his name figures in almost every place of trust, and the early records of the town show that his duties were always conscientiously performed." In 1654 he compiled "A Book of Records of Town Ways in Windsor." He was also the compiler of the "Old Church Record," which has furnished the basis for the histories of most of the families of ancient Windsor. He was a type of the best settlers of New England, and left to his descendants an untarnished name and the example of an unswerving fidelity to the public trusts committed to him, for he quaintly comments on his own work: "I have been careful to do nothing on one man's desire."Matthew Grant and Priscilla _____
Resided in Windsor; removed in 1669 to Simsbury; a manufacturer of pitch and tar at Simsbury as early as 1643; was engaged in mercantile transactions in St. Malo, France, as late as 1662; a leading man in civil and ecclesiastical matters; in 1664, as a member of the Church of England, protested against paying taxes for the support of the (Congregational) ministry in Windsor; dragoon 1667; representative in state legislature. The Humphrey Genealogy gives more than 7,600 of their descendants.
Resided at Windsor; removed to East Windsor Hill as early as 1672, where he built a house on the bank of the river in the rear of the Theological Institute; he afterwards removed to the site of the present residence of Hon. Roswell Grant. When 18 years old he was employed to attend the Connecticut River ferry; in 1661 was employed to shingle the inside roof of the meeting house; part owner of saw-mill; sealer of measures, lister, constable, surveyor, boundgoer many years; on committee to run bounds between Windsor and Simsbury; they joined the church at Windsor in 1685, and were members of the church at East Windsor in 1700.
Resided at Windsor, on the Michael Try lot; removed before 1680 to East Windsor; blacksmith; brander of horses, constable, bailiff; she owned the covenant in the church at Windsor in 1663.
Resided at Windsor in the homestead, which he enlarged; perambulator, fence viewer, lister, constable, collector; in King Philip's War he was ordered, Sept. 6, 1676, to take 20 men, and march to the relief of Westfield and Springfield, thus becoming the first military member of the family; they owned the covenant in the church.
Resided at East Windsor Hill; carpenter; owned cider-mill; part owner of saw-mill; widow kept tavern; she was a member of the church at East Windsor Hill, and he owned the covenant there, having previously held the same relation to the church at Windsor.
Resided at East Windsor.
Resided at East Windsor; in 1720 was part owner of a vessel, and the wealthiest man in the town; one of the company that owned the town of Torrington; member of the church; constable, sealer of leather, selectman.
Resided at East Windsor; removed in 1695 to Stonington; they joined the church in 1699, and were dismissed to form the church at North Stonington in 1727; collector, lister, constable, tythingman.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910) Selectman of Stonington, 1714.
Resided at East Windsor, where they owned the covenant in 1700; probably removed in 1713 to Tolland; removed in 1723-24 to Ellington, among the earliest settlers, and resided there in 1735; hayward, collector, tythingman.
Resided at Windsor.
Resided at Windsor.
Children of Samuel Grant and Grace Miner
Resided at East Windsor and Westfield.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910) m. (1) Jan. 1706/07.
Resided at East Windsor; probably removed in 1713 to Tolland; removed in 1726 to Bolton (now Vernon), having purchased 500 acres on which a large part of Rockville now stands, and 35 acres which is still in the family; returned to Windsor; weaver; lister, hayward, surveyor, constable, tythingman, sergeant.
Removed to Tolland in 1713, being one of the earliest settlers; his house was on Grant's Hill; widow removed to Coventry with children; active member of the church at Tolland; selectman, lister, surveyor.
Resided at East Windsor.
Removed about 1720 to Grant's Hill, Tolland; collector, constable, treasurer many years; ensign 1737, lieutenant 1746, captain 1751.
Resided at Bloomfield; his children were baptized in Hartford, and he bought land there in 1755; tythingman, surveyor; ensign 1745.
Resided at East Windsor Hill; had the homestead; in 1757 built the house now occupied by Hon. Roswell Grant; famrer; engaged in the West India trade as early as 1728; merchant as late as 1779, but was ruined by the war; large ship owner and builder; innkeeper; graduate of Yale University in 1726; became the leading citizen; clerk of the church, 1733-67; surveyor many years, deputy sheriff, constable, selectman, moderator, grand juror; capt. of train-bands in 1742 and 1752; led expedition to Deerfield in 1745; member of Committee of Correspondence in 1774; on committee to consult in regard to disposing of lands west of New York in 1774; had charge of purchasing and forwarding the clothing for the soldiers in 1776-77; on committee to consider and advise on the articles of confederation proposed by Congress in 1778; General Prescott was imprisoned in his house in 1777.
Resided at Coventry; removed about 1746 to Tolland, and about 1750 back to Coventry; served in the French and Indian War at Lake George; lieutenant in 1755; Captain of 7th Company, 2nd Regiment, in 1756, in which year he received from the Connecticut Assembly a gratuity for "extraordinary services and good conduct in ranging and scouting"; on such an expedition he set out from Fort William Henry on Sept. 20, 1756, and never returned; although the muster roll of his Company calls him "dead Sept. 20th," there was evidently no proof of his death, for letters of administration were not granted to his widow until 1774.
Resided at Tolland; on committee to provide soldiers with clothing in 1777; surveyor, tythingman.
Resided at Coventry; served in the French and Indian War, 1755-56; 2nd Lieutenant 4th Company, 3rd Regiment, in 1756; left £200 to the Second Society in Coventry for the benefit of the school.
He bought land in Tolland in 1779.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) Husband b. Jan. 13, 1724.
Resided at Coventry; removed about 1790 to Greensburgh, Pa., in 1799 to Liverpool, Ohio, in 1804 to Deerfield, Ohio, and in 1818 to Maysville, Ky.; farmer and tanner; served through the Revolution as lieutenant and captain.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, pp. 614, 617) John G. W. Tompkins [son of Rachel Maria Grant and William Tompkins] writes as follows: "I will mention the tradition fondly dwelt upon and oft-times related by his children Susan, Margaret, Roswell, Jesse and Rachel that Noah Grant participated in the original 'tea-party' in Boston harbor in 1773. The watch, a large silver 'bull's-eye' worn by him on that occasion has been an heirloom in our family, passing at my mother's death to my brother Charles. I have often heard my mother relate her narrow escape from drowning when the family was moving to Maysville, Ky., in a 'keel boat'; she fell overboard and was rescued with great difficulty. She had to walk four miles through the woods to school, and sometimes the Indians who were then near Maysville would overtake her and lift her upon their horses, asking if 'papoose wanted a ride.' My father had the distinction of being the first man on this continent, and perhaps in the world, to utilize natural gas in manufacturing. In 1841, while he was running a salt well 1200 feet in depth, suddenly the well gram, a structure 75 feet high, was blown to pieces and caught fire from the sudden ebullition of gas that escaped in vast volume, frightening the workmen, and inspiring them with the belief that they had reached the region where 'the fire is never quenched.' But he, taking a more practical view, succeeded in smothering the fire with wet blankets and earth, and piping the gas to his furnace nearby used it to boil salt water for many years very successfully and at vast reduction in cost. At that place (Burning Springs, W. Va.) Washington when a young surveyor discovered gas on the surface of a spring, and finding that it ignited easily deeded one acre to the State of Virginia as a natural curiosity."
A beautiful woman; became insane at age 18, and remained so until a short time before her death.
Resided at East Windsor; sailor; a great wag, full of jokes and odd tricks.
Remained with his grandfather Buell when his father went to Pa.; he started about 1798 to go to the West Indies as overseer of a sugar plantation, but was never heard from and was supposed to have perished; but it seems probable that he survived shipwreck, was cast on an island, and left a family, as some years ago the descendants of a Mr. King Grant in the West Indies claimed descent from him.
Resided at Maysville, Ky.; tanner, salt manufacturer, and coal mine owner.
Children of Noah Grant and Rachel (Miller) Kelly
Resided at Maysville; removed to Illinois, to W. Va. in 1849, thence to California; Mr. Hudson was a farmer and merchant; served in War of 1812; in battles of Tippecanoe, River Raisin and the Thames.
Resided at Ravenna, Ohio; removed in 1820 to Point Pleasant, to Georgetown, Ohio, in 1823, in 1841 to Bethel, Ohio, and to Covington, Ky., in 1854; tanner and wholesale dealer in leather and hardware; postmaster of Covington several years.
Resided in Trumbull Co., Ohio; removed after Mr. Marshall's death to Georgetown; separated from Mr. Givens, and returned to Georgetown.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) d. March 3, 1873.
Merchant; partner of Mr. Hudson, his brother-in-law.
Resided at Maysville, Ky.; tanner and miller.
Resided at Maysville and in W. Va.; tanner and farmer; drummer-boy in Col. Todd's Regiment, War of 1812; vestryman of St. Mark's Church, St. Albans.
Resided at Maysville, Ky.; removed in 1830-31 to Burning Springs, and in 1845 to Cedar Grove; farmer and salt manufacturer; owned coal lands and several stores and steamboats; served in the War of 1812; member of the Methodist Episcopal church; was prompt and faithful in the discharge of his obligations, and his integrity inspired the confidence of all who knew him; it was she who taught the future President his alphabet.
Children of Peter Grant and Permelia Bean
Resided near Louisville, Ky.; in partnership with her father many years, amassing a great fortune; she was a member of Protestant Episcopal church.
Resided at Maysville, Ky.; removed in 1840 to a farm near Lexington, Mo.; tanner and collector; members of Protestant Episcopal church.
Resided at Louisville and Charleston, W. Va.; bookseller; member of Protestant Episcopal church.
Resided in Texas; physician.
Resided at Lexington; removed in 1880 to San Francisco; merchant; collector of internal revenue.
Cotton commission merchant in Louisville, New Orleans, and Liverpool, England; member of firms of Hewitt, Norton and Co., and Stuart, Norton and Co.; she was a member of Protestant Episcopal church.
Widower removed to Idaho and Virginia City, Montana.
Resided in Mason Co., Ky.; removed to Canton, Mo.; farmer and merchant; member of firm of Hewitt, Norton and Co.; served in Mexican War, and through Civil War as captain and colonel in C. S. A.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) Wife was daughter of Gen. Thomas Marshall and _____ Whitcroft.
Resided at New Orleans; widower removed to Calif.; president of Morgan Gold Mining Co.
Children of Susan A. Grant and Bailey Washington Hudson
Resided at Burlington, Iowa; instrumental in the nomination and election of Lincoln; spend much time with General Grant in the field; mayor; minister to Guatemala, 1869-73.
Resided at Maysville and Cincinnati, Ohio; removed in 1881 to Colo.; steamboatman and cattleman; wharfmaster at Ripley, Ohio, 20 years; served in Ohio State Militia, "Squirrel Hunters."
Resided at Brenner, Kan.; tanner.
Resided at Lewisburg, W. Va.; benefactress.
Served on General Grant's staff with rank of lieutenant-colonel.
Served in 15th Iowa Regiment in Mexican War; promoted for gallant services to lieutenant in regular army; the first to carry the flag over the walls of Chapultepec.
Children of Susan A. Grant and Henry Grimes
Resided at Colusa, Calif.
Children of Jesse Root Grant and Hannah Simpson
Widow resided at Washington, D. C., and is president of Woman's National War Relief Association.
He graduated from the U. S. Military Academy in 1843; brevet 2nd Lieutenant 4th U. S. Infantry in 1843, 2nd Lieutenant in 1845, Quartermaster in 1847, 1st Lieutenant in 1847, brevet Captain in 1848, Captain in 1853; resigned in 1854, and engaged in farming near St. Louis; removed to St. Louis in 1858, and engaged in real estate business; removed in 1860 to Galena, Ill., and became clerk in his father's wholesale leather store; Colonel on the staff of Governor Yates in 1861, Colonel of 21st Ill. Volunteer Infantry on June 17, 1861; Brigadier General of Volunteers on Aug. 23, 1861, Major General on Feb. 16, 1862; Major General U. S. A. in July 1863, Lieutenant General on March 2, 1864 (the rank having been revived for him), General on July 25, 1866 (the rank having been created for him); secretary of War ad interim 1867-68; President of the United States, 1869-77; removed in 1880 to New York City and became a partner in the banking firm of Grant and Ward; president of the Mexican Southern Railroad; author of "Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant." To record adequately his life and deeds would be to write the history of this nation for a score of years, a labor that is beyond the capacity of this work. For an insight into the man himself, his own memoirs should be read, in which he stands revealed in heroic simplicity of character. The honors that were conferred upon him, such as has been the lot of no other to receive, were worn without ostentation or arrogance, nor did them make him forgetful of the merits and services of others. And we may recall with satisfaction that the quiet tenacity of purpose, which was the keystone of his military success, is the trait that has been dominant in the family as far back as we can trace its history.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 599) The rank of General was not created for him, as stated on p. 142, but was revived for him; he was, however, the first to hold the rank, for Washington, for whom it was created in 1799, died before it was conferred upon him.
Resided at Galena, Ill., and Covington, Ky.; had charge of his father's store at Galena.
Resided at East Orange, N. J. (70 Orange St.); formerly Elizabeth, N. J.; a successful teacher; clerk in the House of Representatives many years; editor of the St. Louis, Mo., Republican; alderman in St. Louis.
Resided at Chicago, Ill., and East Orange, N. J.; leather and saddlery merchant; Ohio Wesleyan University.
Resided at East Orange, N. J. (70 Orange St.); A. B. at Ohio Wesleyan University in 1860, A. M. in 1863, LL. D. in 1895; D. D. Syracuse University in 1873; pastor of Methodist Episcopal churches in Cincinnati, Ohio, 1860-64, Nashville, Tenn., 1864; chaplain U. S. A., 1864-67; consul at Leipzig, Germany, 1867-70; minister to Denmark, 1870-81, to Switzerland 1881-85; professor of theology at Boston University, 1885-85; editor of the German Quarterly Theological Review 1889-98; instructor in church history at Drew Theological Seminary, 1895-96; professor of philosophy at Dickinson College, 1897-98; she attended Wesleyan Female College.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 656) The editor has received from Mary (Grant) Cramer, who is travelling with her son in Great Britain and France, some interesting souvenirs of Castle Grant, Grantown, Scotland.
Children of Margaret Moody Grant and John Marshall
Resided at Georgetown, Ohio.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) William Stoddard Marshall, b. at Youngstown, Ohio, March 6, 1818; m. at Russellville, Ohio, June 17, 1845, to Sophia Ann Smythe [b. at Russellville, Jan. 1, 1825; d. at Georgetown, Ohio, June 23, 1854; daughter of William Smythe and Patience Lawson]; farmer.
Resided at Georgetown, Ohio; judge.
Resided in Ohio and Ill.; removed before 1861 to Iowa; physician.
Widow resided at Georgetown; lawyer; member of legislature.
Resided near Georgetown, Ohio.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) b. Dec. 11, 1828; d. Aug. 12, 1888
Children of Roswell Miller Grant
Probably the last two by 2nd marriage
and the others by 1st marriage
Resided at Lexington, Mo., and Maysville, Ky.; stock dealer and butcher.
Resided at St. Albans, W. Va.
Resided at St. Albans; she is postmaster.
Resided at St. Albans, W. Va.
Served in C. S. A.
Children of Rachel Maria Grant and William Tompkins
Lumber merchant, farmer, inventor, and civil engineer; graduate of University of Va., 1856; member of Protestant Episcopal church.
Resided at Lewisburg, W. Va.; Presbyterian minister; she is matron of the Lewisburg Female Institute.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 614) The Lewisburg Female Institute, the most famous school for girls in W. Va., is thoroughly identified with the Family. A. Virginia (Tompkins) Brown and her daughter Anna B. (Brown) Telford are its matrons, Mr. Telford is the principal, I. Virginia Brown [daughter of Amanda Virginia Tompkins and John Calvin Brown] is teacher of history and in charge of the primary department, and Bessie B. Brown [daughter of Amanda Virginia Tompkins and John Calvin Brown] is librarian. The school is incorporated and under the care of the Presbyterian Church.
Resided at Charleston, W. Va.; farmer, merchant, salt manufacturer, steamboat clerk and captain and speculator; University of Va., 1854-56; commissary with rank of captain in C. S. A.
Resided at Salem, Va.; formerly Kanawha Co., W. Va.; real estate; formerly farmer and contractor; Richmond Medical College, 1860, Atlanta Medical College, 1861; served in the C. S. A. 1861-65; captain on staff duty at the surrender of Gen. Lee, and there met his cousin Peter Hudson who was on the staff of Gen. Grant.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 758) Resided at Washington, D. C.
Resided at Charleston, W. Va.; lawyer; member of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church; served through the Civil War.
Resided at Charleston, W. Va.; lieutenant-colonel of cavalry in C. S. A.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 599) d. at Charleston, W. Va., March 3, 1899.
(p. 784) Colonel Oliver A., widower of Rachel E. (Tompkins) Patten, d. at Deepwater, W. Va., July 3, 1901; buried at Charleston, W. Va.
Resided at Cedar Grove, W. Va.
Farmer and coal mine operator; she was a member of Methodist Episcopal church; Sunday School teacher; of unusual beauty of character, generous and sympathetic, spending her life in deeds of kindness, and beloved by all.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 696) John G. W. Tompkins removed to Charleston, W. Va., where he m. (2) Dec. 19, 1900, to Nellie B. Blair, daughter of Mrs. Catherine Blair.
Children of Ulysses S. Grant and Julia Boggs Dent
Resided in New York City (25 East 62nd St.); graduated from U. S. Military Academy in 1871; Lieutenant in 4th U. S. Cavalry; Lieutenant Colonel and Aide de Camp, 1874-81; minister to Austria 1889-93; commissioner of police, 1895-97; Colonel and Brigadier General of Volunteers, 1898.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 750) Frederick D. Grant is now a Brigadier General in the regular army.
Resided at San Diego, Calif. (1618 Ash St.); formerly in New York City and Salem Center, N. Y.; lawyer; formerly banker and farmer; A. B. Harvard University, 1874, L. L. B. Columbia College, 1876; asst. U. S. district attorney, South District of N. Y., 1879; delegate at large to Republican National Convention, 1896; President of Grant Family Association.
Resided at Washington (2111 Massachusetts Ave.).
Resided at San Diego, Calif.; attended Cornell University, 1874-77, Columbia Law School, 1877-78.
Children of Virginia Paine Grant and Abel Rathbone Corbin
Children of Orvil Lynch Grant and Mary Medary
Resided in New York City (67 East 131st St.); chief bookkeeper in U. S. Sub-Treasury.
Resided at La Crosse; accountant with C. B. and N. R. R. [Chicago Burlington Railroad and North Western Railroad] since 1888; formerly in feather business.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 599) d. at Denver, Col., Dec. 12, 1898; her widower m. (2) Feb. 1900, to _____ Hanley, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and resided at Brooklyn (890 Park Place.)
Resided at Denver, Col.; formerly New York City; journalist; A. B. McGill University, 1884.
Children of Mary Frances Grant and Michael John Cramer
Resided at Paris, France.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 696) Alphonse, widower of Clara V. (Cramer) Bernhard, d. in Paris, France, Jan. 5, 1900.
Resided at South Bethlehem, Pa.; assistant professor of modern languages in Lehigh University; A. B., New York University, 1889, A. M., 1895.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 596) J. Grant Cramer is president of the American Students' Club of the University of Leipsic, where he has been studying during the last two years.
(p. 696) Jesse G. Cramer removed to New York City (325 West 20th St.). He is teacher of French and German in the DeWitt Clinton School.
Children of Frederick Dent Grant and Ida M. Honoré
Resided in New York City.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 600) m. at Newport, R. I., Sept. 24, 1899, to Prince Michael Cantacuzéne, Comte Speransky [b. at Odessa, Russia, 1875; son of Mikhail Cantacuzéne-Speransky and Elizabeth Sicard]; resided at Odessa; chevalier of the Russian imperial guard; at one time military attaché at the Russian embassy at Rome.
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 614) Ulysses S. Grant is a student in the U. S. Military Academy at West Point.
Children of Ulysses S. Grant, Jr. and Fannie Josephine Chaffee
Children of Ellen Wrenshall Grant and Algernon Charles Frederick Sartoris
Resided at Washington, D. C. (2111 Massachusetts Ave.); Aide de Camp on staff of General Lee, 1898; Columbian Law School, 1896-98.
Children of Jesse Root Grant, Jr. and Elizabeth Chapman
Children of Julia Grant and Michael Catacuzéne-Speransky
(from The Grant Family Magazine Supplementary to the Grant Family History, ed. by Arthur Hastings Grant, Feb. 1900-Dec. 1910, p. 764)